Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Reading notes, B: Ovid's Metamorphoses

Echo- I like that they took the personification of a word and made it define its own meaning in the story. Narcissus did as well. It also teaches a lesson. Although, I am not sure if these words came from the stories, or that these stories are explaining where the words came from?
Narcissus- I like the symbolism in how he feels, what he sees and the flowers they find the next day. The colors were repeated which I think helps keep the story connected throughout.
Pyramus and Thisbe- This was totally a less familiar Romeo and Juliet, I really like the whole star crossed lovers theme, but I always wanted a happy ending.
Mars and Venus- So essentially no one cared that Venus was having an affair because she was so hot and everyone wanted to be with her. I just feel bad for Vulcan. I would change it so he got the final jab in.
Perseus and Andromeda- The girl was described as being shy and having good manners in the presence of a man. Perseus also bargained for her hand in marriage in order to save her, which seems like a no brain-er. I also don't really fully understand why she was on that rock in the first place.
Perseus and Medusa- finding out why Medusa had snakes for hair was interesting. I am not too sure whether I like the whole story with in a story thing. I think I would be better at a straightforward narrative.
Image result for medusa
Head of Medusa
Bibliography
 Ovid's Metamorphoses, translated by Tony Kline (2000)

No comments:

Post a Comment